Monday, December 9, 2019

Walking Tour

CLICK HERE: TODAY'S PHOTO ALBUM

Well our bike tour turned into an all day walking adventure.  We were up bright and early, ready to seize the day.  Walked down to St. Martin Sq. to meet up with the tour guide -- no show.  There was a big hullabaloo going on for the inauguration today.  So maybe that's why they didn't show.  In any case, we felt it was a sign and we took off walking.

First order of business was to see the Floralis Generica.
Avenida Figueroa AlcortaBuenos Aires, a gift to the city by the Argentine architect Eduardo Catalano. Catalano once said that the flower "is a synthesis of all the flowers and, at the same time, a hope reborn every day at opening."[1] It was created in 2002. The sculpture was designed to move, closing its petals in the evening and opening them in the morning.   It weighs eighteen tons and is 23 meters high.
We were headed out to the Galileo Galilei Planetarium, when it was time for the loo.  So we popped in next door to the University of Buenos Aires - building was nice - bano, not so much.  Headed back on the course and Kate pricked her arm on some bush.  Do we have any paper product whatsoever - of course not.  It was the tiniest puncture, yet it produced quite a lot of blood.  Next stop the la-di-dah Polo Club to clean up and literally stop the bleeding. They were
very nice and Kate's wound was well attended to.  With that done it was off to the Planetarium. Beautiful building on beautiful grounds.  Closed.  Bummer.  Apparently lots of stuff is closed on Mondays.  We took a rest on the grass in the shade and met two very friendly young women.  Turns out they are here for a Jehovah Witness convention.  We had a lovely chat and in the end they handed us a card and so on and so forth.  I really wish they hadn't of done that but I guess they can't help themselves.

Really needed some food right about now.  Walked past all the gardens which were also closed and
finally came across a very loud burger joint.  Who cares it was food.  I had a salad which left a lot to be desired but I was hungry.  We were back on the pavement again and came out at the race track. Across the street from the track are the polo grounds.  By this point, I lost track of exactly how many miles we walked.  I really wanted to see the Jewish Museum/Synagogue which was another four miles.  As we pondered taking a taxi, the horse procession came riding by right in front of us.  This must have had something to do with the inauguration. It was quite a sight - it even made walking in the wrong direction worth it!  We decided on the taxi.

Pulled up in front of the museum and I handed the driver a $5 bill.  We never did get any AR pesos. He did a lot of head shaking and pointing.  So I ran into the art store next to the museum and the owner, very kindly agreed to exchange the money for me.  Just at that time, Kate runs in and says "Never mind, he thought you wanted change - he's happy to take the $5!"  So with that crisis over, we pressed the high level security button to get into the museum.  The voice at the other end of the speaker said "Must have original passport and $10 cash".  Well that ended that.  We left our passports at the hotel.  It was time to start walking again.

Got back to the hotel and Kate called 'Uncle!"  She was done.  As tired and sweaty as I was, I decided to grab my passport and take a quick taxi down and back just to see the place.  It's a thing I've done in every city I can.  I got a taxi and was back at the museum buzzer.  I was let in and had to drop my passport down a slot.  After it was inspected it was slipped back out at me.  All very clandestine.  I paid my $10 and I was in!  There is a small museum attached to the synagogue.  The museum was inaugurated in 1967. The first Jewish institution in the country was founded in 1867.

As I approached, I heard violin music.  Thinking it was being piped in from somewhere, I was surprised to find a young man playing an extraordinary instrument with a woman looking on.  The music brought chills to my spine it was so beautiful - especially in that setting.  The woman, Ann, it turns out, is a professional violinist from Victoria, Canada - One forth of the Lafayette String Quartet.  However, she studied music at B.U. in Boston. Her friend,
Fernando, is also a professional violinist from Buenes Aires.  Fernando was trying out the two violins, a Stradivari (replica) and Guarneri, that Ann had just purchased - so she can hear the sound.  Ann and I chatted up a storm.  We talked about everything from instruments to Judaism.  It was time to part.  She took a selfie of the two of us that I really would love to get.  It was such a memorable moment.

As I was leaving the building, this little elderly man comes in as I was trying to go out.  An Abbott and Costello routine followed - that is too long to produce here but quite entertaining at the time.  Turns out this guy is the resident rabbi.  Now I was really thrilled.  We talked and I learned he has a friend somewhere around the Boston area. I asked,  "Can I get picture of you"  "You got $100 bucks!" "No, but I'll give you a smile"  "OK".  This really topped off my visit.  I was very glad I got myself back to the museum, as tired as I was..

But it wasn't over yet.  When I grabbed a cab to go back, I got a very disagreeable sort.  Upset I couldn't say the address in Spanish and he had to change glasses to read it on my phone.  It was a short drive but he didn't make it very pleasant.  Towards the end, he established that I was from the US.  When we got to the hotel, I gave him a $50 US for maybe a $1.50 cab ride and told him to keep it since I didn't have any pesos.  He now became my new BFF.  We sat in the cab and talked for 10 more minutes.  He brought up Trump and I told him he can expect to see me back here next year if this guys wins.  He laughed and said he feels sorry for us all.  I guess the $5 made his dreary day and it was well worth it  to see him leave with a smile on his face.

Back at the suite, a bit of down time and talk of dinner.  Kate was moving slowly but in the end we
decided to stick to a close neighborhood restaurant.  Our bike guide gave us a few recommendations and one was right around the corner.  This place was a real find.  From the street it looks like a liquor and flower shop.  But there is a nondescript door that goes down to the cellar.  Way cool!!  We managed to snag a table without a reservation.  As luck would have it, our waiter, Dillion, is a young man from LA and just moved to Buenos Aires about 2 months ago.  Kate got very excited.  Apparently her step-daughter has talked about moving here as well.  Dillion was happy to share his contact information if she ever wants to get in touch.  He was very happy to help.  And, yes, he knows OMG Shoes!  That was another conversation.

Although our day didn't turn out as planned - really when does it ever?  And, although we might have missed out on some attractions that were closed, we had some great experiences today.  Well worth the pain our bodies are both experiencing from schlepping around for miles in 90 degree weather.  Not to worry, we should have a couple of days of nothingness on the ship to regenerate -- not to mention a good massage.  Oh, by the way, we did decide to skip those tango lessons tonight!

Early morning tomorrow.  Leaving for the domestic airport at around 5:30am.  Sweet dreams. Before I go, I want to say that the wifi on board the ship may not be all that reliable.  So not sure what will happen after tomorrow's post.  Be assured, I was post when I can.

Next time.....The Silver Cloud

CLICK HERE: TODAY'S PHOTO ALBUM

3 comments: