Thursday, December 12, 2019

Crossing the Drake Passage

CLICK HERE: TODAY'S PHOTO ALBUM

Started sailing into the Drake Passage last night.  It felt like a big cradle rock.  So far this has been very smooth sailing.  We learned that the captain had stayed a few extra hours in the Beagle Passage before heading out to Drake just to let the weather pass.  We are all very grateful.  It feels like Drake Lake now. The sun is bright and the winds have been very calm.  But we all know that can change in a heartbeat.  I took an early morning tour of the ship this morning.  Very quiet - I was the only one around until I found the coffee.  Even then, there were only two other women.  It was a good time to get acquainted with the place. Although I still look at the map.  Tomorrow morning I'll get coffee via room service -- something I am not very used to doing.  I had a wonderful breakfast.  A small souffle with spinach and artichoke.  Very yummy.  It was time to get some answers as to why I couldn't get my computer connected to the wifi last night.  Apparently you can only have one device online at a time. Hence, the phone had to disconnect before I can connect the laptop.  Guess you have to read ALL the instructions - duh!

Pretty soon after breakfast was the ship introduction. A general meet and greet and explanations of what to do and where to find things.  This rolled right into the zodiac intro. All about how to get in and out and what to wear. Read for a bit and talked with some people till it was time for the kayak seminar.  Without going to this you are not eligible to kayak.  Since time and space is limited, the kayaking is done by lottery.  Hopefully if the weather holds out everyone will get a chance to go out.  Kate and I signed up separately, so we may not go out together.  This way we can exchange our information.  No matter what everyone goes out either on a land excursion or zodiac cruise twice a day.  Probably starting on Friday.  We have another whole day of sailing through the passage before arriving at Antarctica.

Before I had to go down to the bio-security check - this is where they check whatever gear you brought that has previously been used in other environments- I took a lovely stroll around the pool and observation decks.  Video called my brother on WhatsApp and gave him a small walking tour of the ship.  Then it was time for inspection.  All my stuff passed and I am now back in the room contemplating a sauna.  Yes, definitely.  Back from the sauna and steam spa -- Kate is still napping, so I wander up to the Panorama Lounge for a cocktail and some munchies.  Lots of folks up there but I really didn't join in any conversation.  It is now time for the Captain's Welcome Cocktail and then I suppose dinner.  Until then...

More meet and greet at the Captain's Welcome Cocktail.  We met a lovely young woman, Leah, from Canadian Vancouver.  Wound up having dinner with her, two other women traveling together from St. Louis, and a couple from Dallas who want to get a game of "Cards Against Humanity" going. That should be fun. They've gone up to play "Name That Tune".  This really is camp.  Can't wait till the action begins.

Sweet dreams...

Next time... Antarctica

CLICK HERE: TODAY'S PHOTO ALBUM


2 comments:

  1. After looking at today's album all I can say is La Dee Freakin' Da!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calm seas and lobster tail, can't beat that. May your waves be small.

    ReplyDelete