Saturday, December 14, 2019

Cuverville Island/Neko Harbour

CLICK HERE: TODAY'S PHOTO ALBUM
SPECIAL ABLUM:  ORCAS!!

Today celebrates the 108th anniversary of the first man, Roald Amundsen, to arrive at the South Pole - December 14, 1911.

OMG!! What a magnificent day.  I am so grateful I got to experience today's adventure.  Not to go into too much detail but, as is par for the course, I had an "issue".  This time huge blisters on tiny little toe - probably from the marching around in Buenos Aires.  I had been attending to it, but  the hike yesterday must have really aggravated it.  Woke up around 2am in a world of pain. Kate helped out with ice, more antibiotic, more ibuprofen and I was back to sleep.  The plan was to see the doctor in the morning.

Looking out the window this morning, was a sight to behold.  Sunshine, mild temps, and no wind.  I just had to go out on this landing. Fortunately, the toe felt way better and I wrapped it very well.  Ordered room service for breakfast to give it as much rest as possible.  Our group announcement came and it was time to "layer up".  We were in the zodiacs and on land in about 20 minutes.

Our first landing is Cuverville Island, which is still part of the Antarctica peninsula.  The guides had carved out  a trail for us up to the ridge. Zigzagging our way up, you have to be careful not to interfere with the penguin highway.  Mostly Gentoos around here.  As you can see from the pics, the views are just stunning.  Postcard perfect.  Ever so glad I was able to climb to the top.  Actually, the hiking was a bit better than yesterday.  Navigating all that rocky terrain was a bit more trickier than the snow.  The climb was gradual and no one was in a hurry.  It did get rather warm with all the layers - might adjust for the afternoon landing.

A little relaxing in the cabin and then I realized it was time for team trivia. Said goodbye to Kate and bolted out the door.  The trivia is a hoot!  Everything was running late today - not sure why but trivia was no exception.  Hung out and chatted as these amazing sights went by while sitting in the Panorama Lounge.  We won our points and it was time for lunch.  Genie, Donna, and myself went up to the buffet.  The view there is stunning.  I made it around the whole buffet till I discovered the sushi at the end!  Drats - I'll need another plate.  Carlos (our usual waiter at night) is right by side with a tray and a plate to carry it all to my table.  Getting very, very spoiled here.

At 1:15 Skulk gives a briefing on what to expect for the following day.  That takes about 15 minutes.  Afterward, I wondered around the deck taking in the sights.  Each one more magnificent than the next.  We are now docked at Neko Harbour.  This is a steep climb to what is supposed to be one of the best views.  Hope I make it!

Piece of cake!  The climb wasn't nearly as bad as it looked.  I went slow and steady and when I reached the top there was a round of applause!  They didn't lie about the views.  It all seemed unworldly.  I took my time going back.  Met up with Kate on the way up - we were in two different zodiacs.  Got stuck in a penguin traffic jam so I just missed the last zodiac going back with my group. Shucks!! That means I was the only one in the next boat.  Frede took me on a private tour of the harbour and got some shots of the ice breaking up.  While on the climb, we did hear rumblings but never saw anything.

Just out of the shower. Kicking up with a beer and some munchies. Kate just came in and said I left my poles in the mud room.  Sweetheart that she is, she went back downstairs to secure them.  Speaking of poles. Thank you Lucy!!!! They are terrific and have been a great help.

Dinner was very entertaining.  We sat at a different table and had the company of one of excursion staff, Oscar.  He is a wealth of information concerning plants, animals, nature and the like.  As one of our party said "It's a pleasure to hear someone talk about something other than the places they've been."  And that is so true.  After dinner, I stayed in the restaurant chatting with some other folks and then suddenly the call went out that Orcas were spotted.  Everyone ran like hell to get to a viewing point.  They were absolutely amazing.  Not to mention the light cast by the setting sun.  And if that weren't enough, we were witness to an avalanche.  Boy it can't get much better than that.  My group finally left the deck at around midnight.

How I wish Geoff was here to experience what I just saw this evening and for the last two days.

Oh well,  early call tomorrow.  We are out on the 8am zodiac.

Next time....Zodiac cruise Spert Island

CLICK HERE: TODAY'S PHOTO ALBUM
SPECIAL ABLUM:  ORCAS!!


No comments:

Post a Comment